Friday, August 12, 2011

half a year gone... now to recap. Cuz you know... I'm way too lazy.


Written on February 13th in my Journal.

We're back in Kaohsiung, and Nicholas is on my computer trying to Ctrl + C everything because my keyboard is a little messed up... You can't type with T, H, Y, Left Shift, underscore, and G. I'm surprised I still have A an E. This morning, I woke up @ 6:50 expecting at least a couple people to wake up, but no one was. I ended up going to breakfast myself. I ate toast with peanut butter and yellow butter, and 2 types of tofu. Afterwords, I headed back up to my hostel room. 720! I went back to sleep for 20 minutes and woke Chiang up. WAKE UP!!! IT'S 8! WAKE UP!!! I then packed and headed to the Lobby. The first place we went to was a memorial for the first Prime Minister of Taiwan. We took pictures and these Korean TV people came up and interviewed Kobe and Joyce on Taiwanese food for the 100th Anniversary of Taiwan. We then headed up a whole bunch of stairs to watch a shift change. The soldiers? cops? Guards (whatever they were called) did a bunch of funky moves with there guns and finally changed spots. We then ran with our luggage to the National Palace Museum. We had 45 minutes to Run through the whole thing. Only James, Tanya, Sylvia, Peter and I went in. Sly, Peter and I managed to go to every exhibit. We then left for the HSR (High Speed Rail). Jerry and I tap tapped to Sexy Back. Jerry got 768,000 and I got 1,410,000. I took a 45 minute power nap on the train with my bandanna and sunglasses on to prevent any embarrassing pictures.


Nicholas, Chiang, and I went to McDonalds for Dinner, Nick got a grilled chicken burger and an ice tea while I got a TRIPLE cheese burger ( which I did not know existed)with coke and fries. We then got a cab and returned home. We got Nicholas all set up in the living room, and I got my computer running until my floor mate came home... I am starting to think that our energy sources are linked. I need to wake up by 5:40AM! its 12:30 already... oh no. ..


Written Tuesday February 15th.

I am currently sitting in front of Yvonne and Joyce`s class dance rehearsal. Their leader is very strict because they have 2 days to get everything down. Joyce`s popping is very interesting to watch. The popping of the Chest is the hardest for her and at least a couple other people. I like Chocolate milk.


Today is Friday August 12th.


I am currently sitting in front of this computer wondering how this trip has passed so quickly. On January 18th 2011, We received our Journals. I was very excited for this trip. I was not yet sure if we were sleeping in tents or cabins at camp but thought either would be fun. This was 16 days prior. On February 2nd, I was so stoked for this trip that I was writing in my journal during class ( I know, not the best move to get good marks) I literally wrote busy on the page 26 times. On February 4th We were sitting in YVR waiting for our flight and we ended up talking to our friends who were currently in class, but the teacher allowed it so don`t be too alarmed. On February 6th in Taiwan, I have come home from the airport and have made the connection that my home stay is amazing. at 7:16 the next morning I decide that waking up 3 hours early would be the best decision after 15 hours in the air. On Monday February 7th I decide that writing while on a bumpy road would be the best time to remember.

Every single person I`ve met over there has a very special place in my heart. Even last summer I wouldn`t have ever thought that in February 2011, I would be in Taiwan meeting new people and seeing things I have never seen before. I had to submerge myself into the culture before I could even possibly soak anything in. I am very grateful for my life in Vancouver, though much more expensive than Taiwan, minimum wage is also 5 dollars more. The gratitude people have shown throughout our 2 week trip was much more than I expected from anyone. When money was tight and banks were closed people helped me out. When I needed translating and bargaining help I could always count on these people. These people opened their houses and school to us. They treated us with the greatest hospitality and I could only wish I was able to do the same. I am very relieved to know that I will not have to attend school from 7:30 to 5 anymore, but I would still like to adopt their system of nap time. I have learned that becoming friends with these people halfway around the world has probably changed me a lot.


Thank you Very much Taiwan for opening your arms to us Canadians!

Stephanie

PS. Sudden Realizations
Written on February 26th.

Realizations
-Hotness-Taiwan Sun is MUCH stronger than the sun we have over here (or at least it affects me differently). The Taiwanese sun seems to burn me in a quarter of the time it would take me in Vancouver (and I'm peeling)
-Food- though very similar in my household and in Taiwan, it is definitely cheaper to eat at the night market at 15 NWT ($0.50CAD) a stick of fish balls while in Vancouver it would be 50NWT($1.65 CAD).
-Toilets- Whenever I head into a public washroom in Vancouver I still wonder if it is a squat or a sit, or even being scared that there will be no toilet paper it there.
-Beds- People in Taiwan seem to sleep on much harder beds which are apparently better for you weren't what I would be desiring to sleep on. Now that I am back in Vancouver, I am thankful for the 2 weeks of back straightening having slept on moderately soft beds ALL my life.
-7/11 - You know how people in New York say "there is a starbucks on every street" well in Taiwan, there may
even be 2 or 3 per street. 7/11 prices there are ridiculously cheap. A hot dog will cost about $1.00 CAD
-Buses and MRT- THe Kaohsiung system is much more cleaner considering that they have fines for eating and drinking on the platform and in the cars. They use vigilantes to catch people breaking these laws by using their cellphones and other cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment