Monday, February 21, 2011

Diagnosed Taiwa-betes

We're finally back in Canada.
I'm physically in Canada but my minds in Taiwan. I've adjusted to their school time it's pretty insane. Just today I passed out at 7pm which is about nap time there. Being back home definitely feels good, but coming from a 25 degree country, IT IS SO COLD HERE.

Taiwa-betes - a disease in which an individual has not had the required levels of Taiwanese students in our midst.

Looking back at all the places we've been, I can say I learned quite a lot about the Taiwanese lifestyle. I really won't look at a bubble tea the same way anymore and I'm probably going to not eat anything fried for the next while. I WILL miss the squid though, I wish I bought more of everything really. I also want to send things back for them!!

I found that after going to school with them there was a sense of appreciation for our own education system, but at the same time I could see the benefits of theirs. I found that in high school they have to work a lot harder than we do to get into university, then it's smooth sailing for them. We on the other hand have to work harder in university as compared to high school. Something interesting they had in their curriculum was " National Defense" which taught them about the use of an assortment of military type equipment and what do to in scenarios that invaded their national security.

At school, I learned how to do geometric patterns/ sequences from class 104's math teacher in MANDARIN, I felt quite accomplished that day.

Camp was something else. I would have never guessed to get a tan in winter. The heat there was irritating at times, did not make for a happy Kirstie ,as you all probably saw in one way or another. BUT I can say that Taiwanese students' music taste is pretty up to date. During midnight snack, we started singing songs from Maroon 5, Simple Plan, Green day, and of course JUSTIN BIEBER.. It was a load of laughs seeing how much they liked Highschool musical and explaining to them how 10 year olds were the target audience in Canada.

The plane ride was not as horrible as expected, however it was horribly unproductive. Instead of reading my biology I was caught in their entertainment library's claws, AKA the movies : TARZAN, RED, MR AND MS SMITH and Charlie St. Cloud. Seeing my own sister being incoherent was hysterical... that is all I'll say about that..

After getting back to school, the jet lag kicked in full force. Everyone was like zombies roaming in the halls with ghastly dark eye circles. Not to mention sad faces from our Taiwa-betes, too bad the medication's half way across the world. Going to Taiwan was probably the BEST trip overseas that I've been on. There were loads of happy times and just down right hilarious moments that keep me up at night. Just counting down the days until they come here in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment