Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hot Pot



After a long day of school yesterday (7:30-5pm)...Sylvia and I came home to a traditional Chinese/Taiwanese winter meal called "hotpot". The weather has cooled down since we have arrived and has dropped from 28 to 16 degrees. So I feel like its Vancouver weather minus all the rain.

I have tried hotpot once with a friend (thanks Mo) at a restaurant but having it home cooked by Echo made it taste so much better. Everytime I went into this large bowl I ended up finding more delicious vegetables at the bottom! The corn on the cob was a sweet touch with a variety of mushrooms, seafood, and tofu. I will have to get her secret sa cha sauce before I leave. This side sauce gives the meat and seafood added flavour with a combination of ginger, garlic, green onion. It would make an ideal marinate for cooking chicken or beef on the BBQ. As a side appie...I tried gwa bao (version of a Taiwanese burger) for the first time. The hint of a sweet peanut sauce with braised pork stood out for me...may be a notch higher than a typical western roast beef sandwich. All this typing of food is making me hungry. I wonder what the camping food will be like for the next 3 days? Are you free Echo? I think I 'm going to miss your home cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment